Tuesday 15 February 2011

Bags of Obsession

I'm a bit obsessed with bags at the moment. I'm not talking about Gucci, Chloe or whatever bit of arm candy Mrs Beckham is lugging around at the moment. No, I'm talking about simple, honest, home made bags.

I first got interested in bags when looking at doing a few simple applique projects. There is so much you can do with a plain tote and some scraps of material.

I do tend to cheat, and purchase my drawstring bags and plain totes from some very good eBay shops, simply because you can pick them up so cheaply. I have, so far, made one bag myself, and more will certainly follow.

Anyway, here is my collection of bags so far.





















These bags were my first foray into applique. Very simple to do and they make great shopping bags. Materials/resources used:
* plain tote
* fabric scraps
* Bondaweb
* needle and thread
* iron

The bags were give to 3 lucky (unsuspecting) family members, who were obviously delighted to received these unique and one off designs.

My eldest daughter has recently started dance classes, and my youngest daughter will be starting nursery in April, so I wanted to make them a personalised pump bag each.





















The materials and resources used were similar to the tote bags. Although this time, of course, I have used red drawstring bags.

The bags were quite thin, so I lined them both with red and white check gingham material .

The bag I am most proud of (at this point anyway) is one that I made just this last weekend. I used instructions from Sew Pretty Homestyle (Tone Finnanger)




















I purchased the round handles, polka dot material and cream lining from eBay shops.

Although I made a couple of mistakes

*the material gathered around one of the handles is not quite flush
*having to unpick it once (machine stitch) when halfway through due to
it being "back to front"

I really enjoyed making this simple bag which only took about 2 hours. I have other material which will lend itself well to a similar project, and I will probably get all technical and try and add a couple of pockets. I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment