Wednesday 16 February 2011

Something For The Smallest Ones

I came across a really great idea for a toy - an activity cube - that I could make for my baby daughter. This was the first item I made using my new sewing machine.

It was also a great project to use up the numerous off cuts of fabric I seem to be rapidly accumulating.

It was very simple to make and looks great when completed. I also had requests to made several more (paid commission - get me!) for friends who saw the cube.


Materials
8 x assorted fabrics (14 x 14 cm)
Bondaweb (for applique "surprise" behind door)
Wadding (batting) for the door
Filling (batting) to stuff the cube
Beads in a container buried in the middle of the cube to make it rattle.
Velcro

Time Taken
Approx 3 hours
This was a really good project for the 1st attempt at using a sewing machine. Hand stitching would have taken hours. I only had to hand stitch (over sew) one side of the cube and also the applique "surprise" heart.

Things I have learnt
When sewing items "inside out", bear in mind placement of any external attachments. I had to unpick my velcro loop twice as I had sewn it as if I had been sewing with the cube the right side out !
10.01.11

Below are a selection of photos showing cubes in construction and completed.





No comments:

Post a Comment