Wednesday 16 February 2011

New Love Comes Cheap

Having only recently taken up sewing and needlework I had to start from scratch regarding materials and equipment. I took me about a month to realise what I really, REALLY needed was a sewing machine.

The world of the sewing machine is a scary place for novices. I looked at many makes and models, from the cheap and cheerful to the expensive all singing all dancing models. I tied myself in knots trying to decide which one would suit me best.

In the end, I abdicated all responsibilty, advised the other half that I would really like a machine for Christmas, and left it to fate! I am pleased to say, he came up trumps.

Come Christmas morning, I was the proud owner of a very basic, cheap "beginners" machine from John Lewis. And I fell in love!

My machine is a godsend. I had it up and running and was practising some, albeit very wobbly, sewing in less than an hour.

For a first sewing machine, it is absolutley ideal. All the tasks, from winding the bobbin, to threading the machine, to sewing hints and tips and explained clearly and easily.

It has 10 simple stitch choices, and 9 tensions settings, what more could the novice machinist need!

I now try and choose projects so that I can use my machine, as it is such a pleasure to use.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I have seen that machine before, it comes in loads of colours, I love it so much, lucky you and what a fabulous other half!!!

    ReplyDelete